RED DEER, Alta. - A case of hantavirus in central Alberta has health officials reminding people to be careful when cleaning up after mice.
There are no details about the person who contracted the virus.
It can be picked up when the urine or droppings of an infected rodent become airborne.
Officials says people should always wear gloves, open doors and windows and soak infected areas with a bleach-water solution when cleaning away nests or dead mice.
The droppings should never be swept or vacuumed.
Hantavirus can cause a rare but serious lung disease in humans.